Date Uploaded: 
Friday 22nd November 2013

How do I join my local US Shul?

To join a shul of your choice, contact the administrator directly (view list of US communities). The administrator will be happy to assist you with the completion of the membership application form, agreeing membership fees and welcoming you to your new community.

Do I need to supply any documentation?

Membership of the United Synagogue is only available to people who are of the Jewish religion (according to the rulings of the Office of the Chief Rabbi), so you may be asked to provide additional documentation.

How much does it cost to become a member of a US Shul?

The US membership fee is broken down into two parts. The first is the contribution towards the costs of running the shul (this varies by shul) and the second part goes towards the Funeral Expense Scheme (FES), which is a set rate across the US, dependant on age.

Are my (single) children covered under my membership?

Children are covered by parents’ membership up to the age of 21. Once they have reached the age of 21 they must join in their own right. Tribe have created a special membership for singles aged 21-30 which offers all the benefits of synagogue membership plus added lifestyle benefits such as discounts from kosher restaurants. The cost of this is uniform across all our member synagogues at just £60 per year including FES (Funeral Expenses Scheme) which can be paid in monthly instalments.

I am having financial difficulties and find it difficult / cannot afford to pay shul fees – what can I do?

If you are having difficulties the first step is to contact your shul’s Financial Representative who is responsible for such issues and will be able to assist you.

I am getting married with a US Shul – who do I contact? How much does it cost?

To find out about getting married within the US, please visit our marriage pages.

For all FES queries, please click here.