On behalf of the United Synagogue we wish you a Mazel Tov on your forthcoming marriage, such an exciting time for you all! There are many popular destinations around the world where a Jewish wedding can take place. However, arrangements will differ from place to place. One should be careful to ensure the orthodox credentials of the Rabbi performing the marriage as well as the availability of kosher catering.
The rabbinical authority who is marrying you will expect your local Beth Din to authorise you as a person who is eligible to get married. The Beth Din will issue you a letter to take with which states this.
In order to issue this letter, the Beth Din will need the following evidence:
- A covering letter stating where and when you are getting married with your Hebrew name (if known) and contact details and whether you wish the certificate to be posted or be available for collection.
- A photocopy of your Parents’ Ketubah (Jewish Marriage Certificate).
- A photocopy of your full birth certificate showing both parents names.
- Either a letter from an Orthodox communal Rabbi confirming that he knows you personally and that you are Jewish and single or two Jewish witnesses, non relations, who have known you for at least five years that would be willing to attend an appointment at the London Beth Din to testify that you are single.
- Three passport photographs.
- Cheque for the sum of £60 per person for US Members or £100 per person for non-US Members, made payable to: USKB. Alternatively credit or debit card payments can be taken over the phone.
If they were not married in an Orthodox synagogue, you need to go further back in the maternal line, bringing a Ketubah from your grandparents or great-grandparents on the mother’s side, together with full birth certificates, showing the direct connection to you.
Other than the UK and Israel, anybody marrying abroad will need a civil ceremony. This can take place before or after the religious ceremony.
For information concerning obtaining certificates of Jewish/single status, please contact:
The London Beth Din
305 Ballards Lane
Tel: 020 8343 6270
Fax: 020 8343 6257
As part of our wish to welcome you into one of our communities within the United Synagogue, we would like to share your contact information with our marriage and membership departments.
Our professional staff will be able to help you with any queries you may have relating to US membership after marriage.
We are delighted to inform all couples marrying abroad and returning to the UK or within the UK regions who have gone via the London Beth Din, The Office of the Chief Rabbi or under other recognised orthodox authorities (documentation to be produced) that the United Synagogue offers you the opportunity to join a US Community within our newly married couples discount scheme.*
Should you not wish to be contacted by the US membership team please email email@example.com or advise the Beth Din when opening your marriage abroad file.
Contact numbers which may be useful for you :
London Beth Din 020 8343 6270
US Membership 020 8343 5687
*Scheme is available provided it is either party’s first marriage and the marriage is recognised by the Office of the Chief Rabbi. The US newly marrieds Discount scheme begins from date of your wedding.