Join US: A Warm Welcome

We are delighted that you are interested in joining the United Synagogue. Joining a US community is one of the best decisions you will make. All you need to get started is let us know your name, date of birth, contact number and email and the shul you wish to join (if you know it). You can call us on 020 8343 5676 or send the details by email via and one of our team will be in touch. We can also offer advice on what might be the right community for you.

If you are single and aged 21-29 you may be eligible for full membership of your local United Synagogue through TCM for just £5 a month. Click here to learn more.

If you’d like to discuss anything, please don’t hesitate to call Michelle or Aliza in our membership team during normal office hours on 020 8343 5676 or email us via

Yes. To join a shul of your choice, contact the administrator directly. The administrator will be happy to assist you with the completion of the membership application form, agreeing membership rates and welcoming you to your new community.

Membership of the United Synagogue is only available to people who are of the Jewish religion (according to the rulings of the Office of the Chief Rabbi), so you may be asked to provide additional documentation.

The US membership rate is broken down into two parts. The first is the contribution towards the costs of running the shul (this varies by shul) and the second part goes towards the Funeral Expense Scheme (FES), which is a set rate across the US, dependent on age. Click here to learn more about FES.

Children are covered by parents’ membership up to the age of 21. Once they have reached the age of 21 they must join in their own right. Young US have created a special membership for singles aged 21-30 which offers all the benefits of synagogue membership plus added lifestyle benefits. The rate of this is uniform across all our member synagogues at just £60 per year including FES (Funeral Expenses Scheme) which can be paid in monthly instalments. Click here to find out more.

If you are having difficulties the first step is to contact your shul’s Financial Representative who is responsible for such issues and will be able to assist you.

To find out about getting married within the US, please visit our marriage pages.

Skip to content