Granted by The United Synagogue to give permission to a local Rabbi to conduct a marriage ceremony. The Authorisation is granted after the authorities are satisfied that both parties are halachically Jewish or that they have an acceptable Certificate of Conversion.
These document are issued by the Office of the Chief Rabbi. They are not the certificates of marriage available from the different Registrar General’s departments which operate within the United Kingdom.
These records do not contain entries from the following religious authorities:
- The Jewish Community in Ireland, subsequent to the establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922
- The Federation of Synagogues since 1966
- The Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations
- The Sephardic congregations
- The Reform and Liberal movements
- Religious ceremonies conducted in the presence of a representative of the local Superintendent Registrar’s office, when the event is entered directly into their register